4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

[Fixed] Ad System Rigged - Really Pathetic
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:17 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Really good, after about 30 page views on this forum, the only ad's I get at the bottom are :

Idya Adsystem
Text Ads on your site!

Idya Adsystem

4webhelp.net
Need help with your site? Look no further!

Idya Adsystem

Self Promoting for members of the team only is it?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:24 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I presume it uses some kind of Random function.

I had this problem on my site where I wanted to choose ranndomly between 5 different graphics. But the random function would always bias towards one particular option. It did pick the other options but only very rarely. I did manage to fix it though.

It was working OK before
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:30 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ask Jayant about it, he's working on it.

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:48 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

For me this kept returning biased results
Code:
$number = rand(1, 5);

I don't no what difference it makes declaring the variable first, but this works perfectly
Code:
$number = "";
$number = rand(1, 5);
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:59 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

AFAIK, Jayant is using the time to generate the results. I'll ask him about it.

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:32 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

ok. here it goes:

Algorithm:

Choses random ad.

if no ad is available it shows defualt 4webhelp.net or idya adsystem ad.
but idya adsystem ad is displayed only once in 50 times. basically proportion kept at 49:1 (for 4webhelp : idya)

NOW.

read this:

It was decided to give one ad for one post.

The stats are not being displayed. maybe thats why you think ads are not being displayed. but you must note : only around 4800 posts at the forum so only 4800 ads were displayed. those got finished in 2-3 days.

we are working on the new ratio. i.e one post will fetch 5 or 10 ads instead of current one
you also suggest the ratio. we dont want the ratio to be too high neigther do we want default ads being displayed. so just tell us the ratio you will like to have.

if you want to look at the stats of your ad. tell me. I will ad them in your profile or maybe some where else.

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:39 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Code:

mt_srand ((double) microtime() * 1000000);
$randval = mt_rand(0,mysql_num_rows($query)-1);

If you lookup in PHP documentation. You will find that this is the best possible rand number generator which is totally un-biased (well almost 99.5+%)

OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:54 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Factor set to 5.

So now. 1 post on 4webhelp gets you 5 ads impressions.

Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:51 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It's already like that AFAIK.

Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:59 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

What about having a special bonus number of ads whenever someone reaches a new rank?

Don't know why I'm suggesting that, its not like anyone here is going to be intereted in a site about fancy rats anyway! Laughing Laughing
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:21 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

someone check the targeting code -- the popups are redirecting the window that opens them as well.

for Justin's Bluesweb I'm getting four windows (good for traffic, eh, Justin Wink ?)

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:57 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

verto wrote:
someone check the targeting code -- the popups are redirecting the window that opens them as well.

for Justin's Bluesweb I'm getting four windows (good for traffic, eh, Justin Wink ?)

I wasnt comepletly a coding error. but wanted to do maximum things with minimal code Smile

so what happened was I linked the cell and the link to the site one had the target defined. for other target couldn't be defined in that minimal code Wink

verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:42 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

looks like you took out the 'target' altogether ...

now it links right through... and no popups at all Wink

i'd guess that's the simplest and best fix if you can't change them individually Smile

don't know whether Justin will like that, Laughing

but lots cleaner, anyway -- Cool Smile

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:27 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Just made a new post, I still only get the default ad's, whats going on?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:14 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If the default ads are the ones for 4WebHelp, then I can back that up. Smile

Right now, no matter how many times I reload, I get two ads that both say:
Quote:
"4WebHelp, Need help with your site? Look no further!, Idya Adsystem"

Also, I'm not sure I see the point of having ads that just relink to this same site. It actually seems pretty idiotic, although I'm sure there's some kind of rationale behind it. Confused Smile

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next