4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

GZIP turned ON
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:22 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Gzip Encoding has been turned on for the rest of the site (it used to be only on for the forums). Please let me know if you have any problems.

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:51 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

How do you exactly enable it for your own site?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:51 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If PHP has been compiled with zlib, add the following to the top of a PHP file:

Code:
  ob_start("ob_gzhandler");

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:55 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks Smile
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 8:38 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Speeds things up
Peter
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 9:10 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Andrew wrote:
How does it do that though?

By compressing the output - in effect it sends a tar.gz file to your browser and your computer unzips the file and displays it.

ob_zhandler has had some problems though and only works for PHP content - a much better option is to use mod_gzip which compresses all of Apache's output

Team Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 8:02 am (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

But unfortunately mod_gzip isn't installed on our server Sad

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:10 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

GZIP compression has been off since we moved to 34SP, as 34SP do not have the required modules for GZIP compression. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:13 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Won't they install it? Slightly higher server load, but much reduced bandwidth costs (and I know which i'd prefer)...

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:15 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well I asked them, and they said that they had what was required for it, and I told them they didn't Smile

I then proved to them that zlib is required, and they didn't reply. Will try to get them to install it, but 34SP are very reticent to install anything non standard Sad

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:20 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Just talked with Daniel (no, not me, but someone on the 34SP staff Wink), who said that he wouldn't install zlib, as it requires recompiling PHP, but he will install mod_gzip instead. Will let you know when this has been done.

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:23 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Heck, I thought zlib was a standard part of any linux install.

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:25 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Apparently not... Unless Plesk disabled it on purpose Rolling Eyes

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:28 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ah well... plesk != standard Linux distro

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:02 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
Just talked with Daniel (no, not me, but someone on the 34SP staff Wink), who said that he wouldn't install zlib, as it requires recompiling PHP, but he will install mod_gzip instead. Will let you know when this has been done.

Done! Let me know if you encounter any problems Smile

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2  Next