4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Chat Room
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 2:39 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I just wanted to remind you all that the chat room IS open and functioning, so if you want to stop by, feel free! I will try to make an effort to be in there more often now.

To access the chat room, click on the "Chat Room" link above, or connect to backpack.webmaster.com:7000 using your favourite IRC client. The room is #4WebHelp.

If you click on the "Chat Room" link, you will be logged into the Chat Room using your username here. However, since many of the common usernames have been taken, you may have to change your nick to something more distinctive.

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 2:43 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

So what you're asking for is an HTML frontend in addition to the Java one?

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 2:51 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Actually, does such a thing exist? A PHP script which would connect to IRC? How would it know what people have said?

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 3:26 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm afraid I don't think that's a good idea. Firstly, I don't really like MySQL powered chat rooms (one of the reasons is given in another thread). Secondly, I don't like the idea of having more than one chat room. It just makes things complicated. Thirdly, they're resource hogs.

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 3:30 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It still ends up being a resource hog, and it still means two seperate chat rooms...

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 3:32 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Members of my forum have decided they want a chat room Laughing

I like the idea of the IRC chatroom on this site - ie not using system resource of my host. However I don't like the 'conference room' - its seemingly impossible to choose a nickname properly it just all seemss a bit hit and miss. unless there are some proper instructions somewhere? I would also like to customise the look of it.

Are there any alternative IRC options that are simpler to use and are customisable.

P.S. tried google Wink
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 4:57 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

theres jpilot.... but you have to pay Sad

http://www.jpilot.com

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:10 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I dont want to pay.

Any for free?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: