4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

.htaccess redirect problem
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Hypergluco
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:27 pm (17 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm a designer more than a developer so I'd really appreciate some help with this.

It seems a very straightforward problem. I use .htaccess to protect a section of a client's site, successfully, in conjunction with an .htpasswd file which sits outsite the public root. When login fails, I get the usual Apache 401 screen which looks like ****, so I've included an ErrorDocument redirect to my own error page (401.html), and the htaccess looks like this:

AuthUserFile /home/user/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName "Students"
AuthType Basic
ErrorDocument 401 http://www.myclient.co.uk/401.html

<Limit GET POST PUT>
require valid-user
</Limit>

It doesn't work. It just goes to the Apache 401 page without redirecting.

Surely login failure redirection to a more attractive page than Apache's effort is common? Help me here - this makes sense to me so I don't understand why it won't work.

Thanks

James
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by HyperglucoSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:01 am (17 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Have you tried "ErrorDocument /401.html" rather than using a full URL?

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:57 am (17 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi Adam,

thanks for your reply.

The problem here is that in order to use /401.html I'd have to put the error document in the protected folder. When I do this, login failure brings the login dialogue back up continuously and doesn't render the error page, presumably because accessing the 401.html file requires authentication as well. The cancel button has no effect. Can I keep the error document in the public root and use ErrorDocument 401 /../401.html or something like it? I don't seem to be able to get this to work either.

James
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by HyperglucoSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
adam

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:01 am (17 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I see. Rather than putting the ErrorDocument line in the .htaccess file in the protected directory, you could put it in a .htaccess file in the parent directory.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:13 am (17 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

As I understand it, the .htaccess file that's in the protected (students) folder takes precedence over the one in the root. Having said that, when I have the errordocument .htaccess file in the root and the password protect .htaccess file in the students folder, it behaves exactly as it does when I try to put the 401.html file in the students folder - it just continually asks for authentication while failing to render the error page in the background.

Have a look: www.bcnh.co.uk/students

Cheers

james
adam

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:36 am (17 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Can you paste the exact contents of the .htaccess file from the root directory?

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:45 am (17 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Here's the code in the root:

ErrorDocument 401 /401.html
ErrorDocument 403 /401.html
ErrorDocument 404 /401.html
ErrorDocument 500 /401.html

and the code in the students folder:

AuthUserFile /home/myid/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName "Students"
AuthType Basic

<Limit GET POST PUT>
require valid-user
</Limit>
adam

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:44 pm (17 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

That's very strange. I can't see any reason why it should be acting like it is. Unless I'm missing something obvious, all I can think of is that it could be some kind of mis-configuration somewhere in httpd.conf.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:21 am (17 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Is this a job for the host admin people?
adam

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:24 am (17 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

More than likely it is. They're in a much better position to figure out what's going on Smile

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:35 am (17 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Oh dear. 'We'll have to charge for that'. I'll send them a polite enquiry and let you know what they say.

Cheers

James
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: