4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

PHP and Password Protected Directories
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
naturegrapher
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:49 pm (18 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I've set up a PHP and MySQL member section on my website, but want to display some images that only members can access. The script lets users onto a PHP page, which detects a cookie to see if they're logged in. If the page does not detect a cookie, the code stops and only the header of the page is shown. I need to display images that are for members only, but am concerned that people will just go to my images directory and find them on their own. I was wondering if PHP could log into a password protected directory which uses .htaccess.

Thanks for any input, or a new way around this problem.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by naturegrapherSend Personal Message
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:24 pm (18 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm not sure you'll have much success with using Apache's password protection (unless you want to put the username/password in the image URL and somehow sync your database with the htpasswd file - not what I'd recommend doing).

What I would do is place all the members-only images in a directory which isn't accessible directly via Apache. Then, use a PHP script to check the user's authentication cookie, then use readfile() to send the image to the user.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:39 pm (18 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks, Adam!
I'm an extreme beginner at PHP and MySQL, and I don't exactly get what you're saying (sorry!). Do you have a PHP script example to get me going on the right track? Thanks a bunch!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by naturegrapherSend Personal Message
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:24 pm (18 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I don't have any examples handy, and don't really have the time to write one. The PHP manual might be a good place for you to start: http://www.php.net/readfile

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: