4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

.htaccess - user not found
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
mini mo
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:49 pm (18 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi there,

My first post so Milky Bars on me Very Happy

I have been fighting with this darn .htaccess thing for days now. I have set up the correct configuration with the access file pointing to the server location and not the ftp one. I have used encrypted an un-encrypted password files yet the login always says that XYZ user is not found.

When I look on the server log it says:

user test not found: /private/
Test being the user and private being the folder protected.

I am generating the password file in a text editor and then ftping it to the site using Dreamweaver.

I don’t have shell access to the server, so can’t go in that way. The host says that they do support htaccess, so what am I doing wrong?

Many thanks for your help.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by mini moSend Personal Message
mini mo
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:24 am (18 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thought I'd post the work round that I found. I think that was happening is that although I could open and read the password file, the sever couldn't. So I changed the file into a .TXT file and changed the .htaccess file to match the new name.

It then worked first time!

Suffice to say I think the problem might have come about how dreamweaver ftps the file, but we'll never know.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by mini moSend Personal Message
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: