4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Best Forum Software?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
priyanka-m6.net
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:18 am (18 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi guys,
Out of the following,which forum software is most popular and what features makes it popular?
1.vBulletin
2.SMF
3.Invision Power Board
4.phpBB

Apart from above, are there any other good forum softwares?

We help in making your dreams come true on internet
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by priyanka-m6.netSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
timjowers
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:19 pm (18 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

[removed by mod - don't spam the forum]
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by timjowersSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:38 pm (18 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

vBulletin, is the most popular.

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
timjowers
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:08 pm (18 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I use JForum and it works extremely well. It was the only Java forum SW from sourceforge.org that installed and ran without serious investigative effort; that is, installed and ran in about 15 minutes.

TimJowers, http://www.talkbackforum.com/ - Discussions in a single click!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by timjowersSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Riker
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:07 am (18 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I use IPB and phpBB...IPB is the best IMO...I dun care for vB that much...have also used a couple others, but IPB is my fave so far
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by RikerSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's WebsiteAOL Instant MessengerYahoo MessengerICQ Number
priyanka-m6.net
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:03 am (18 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Looks like
Paid -vbulletin
Free-phpBB

We help in making your dreams come true on internet
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by priyanka-m6.netSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:29 pm (18 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

That would be my choice too Smile.

I don't think IPB can be considered free anymore, so there are no major competitors to phpBB left (there are many lightweight boards out there which may be very good - but that's not what I'm looking for). I also like the fact that phpBB has stuck to its GPL license since the beginning.

vBulletin seems to have got a bit bloated in version 3 (they gave in to a lot of feature requests). However this seems to have happened to phpBB too, to a lesser extent (in the upcoming version Olympus).

I wouldn't choose IPB simply because they seem to be in it for the money more than anything else, what with their constant licensing changes... However from a user's point of view their script is quite nice to use.

Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:59 pm (15 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

IMHO PHPBB is the best free one. It also has quite a big bunch of hacks and mods. If you want a full CMS based on phpBB I recommend Icy Phoenix.

Demo : free forums
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by AreyoutSend Personal Message
HostDone
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:44 pm (12 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If you ask me, I am sure that vBulletin will be the best option in terms of paid forum software..
As for Free, phpBB is quite good for running forums.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by HostDoneSend Personal Message
scott.corbin@zipsrevers
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:38 pm (12 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

The vBulletin is your best bet, stay away from "free" apps, there is a reason why they are free. Wink

sales at zipsupport.com
http://www.zipservers.com
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by scott.corbin@zipsreversSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Plusplushosting-mike
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:05 pm (12 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Can agree with the others.. Among free forum software - it is phpBB.. As for the paid one - it is vBulletin!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by Plusplushosting-mikeSend Personal Message
FranklinJ
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:31 am (12 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

VBulletin is the best and most used forum software because it keeps the spammers away.

Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:46 am (12 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

vBulletin seems to have got a bit bloated in version 3 (they gave in to a lot of feature requests). However this seems to have happened to phpBB too, to a lesser extent (in the upcoming version Olympus).

Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:03 pm (11 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well for me IMO IPB and especially vB are overloaded with too many features. In frontend many settings or pages are hidden to deep what makes them hard to find.

Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:45 pm (11 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

VBulletin is the best

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: