4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Someone please explain the logic of search engines...
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
crosspc
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:14 pm (19 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi. This is probably buried somewhere in these forums but I can't find it right now.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me why it is that I bother registering a business name as business_name.com when search engines dont even try to search for it? I understand the logistics of searching for everything that anyone types in the google or msn query box would be horrible, but isnt that what search engines do? Doesnt it make common sense to at least look for bussiness_name.com first if I type "business_name" in the search box? Why is it that no one runnig the search engines has at least considered this? Heck, I might even be tempted to use the (gasp! Shocked ) cool web search adware thingy if it tried to find the name.com .net or .org first. We could call it common sense search engines. I understand they have to make money by charging for ads, but really, how relevant are the results if you don't check the obvious first? Maybe I could get a better ranking if I registered under "gvjkyufygflfylkfykhjvmfsg3wsjrytsk.com" and typed a huge paragraph of **** that didnt relate to anything underneath the text. I search for some things and thats all I get. A search that leads to another search engine. ARRRRGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!

Anyone else see why I am so frustrated??

So, what can I do to rectify this? I have submitted to search engines (never repeating so I dont irritate anyone). Is there anything else I can do (save starting my own search engine company?)

Thanks,
Tim
Cross PC
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by crosspcSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:58 pm (19 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm pretty sure that Google does use the occurance of your search terms in the URL of each page when ranking the results, but I can't speak for other search engines. The problem is that just blindly putting those sites whose domain names match the search terms at the top of the results may not always show the most relevant results first.

Again speaking only for Google, many different methods are used to rank results according to relevance, and as I mentioned this includes the URL. I have found it to be the case that searching for a company's name usually shows that company as the first result.

If you've only recently registered your domain, give it a while. As long as there is useful, meaningful information on your site it will eventually find its way to the top of the results.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:28 am (19 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks. I guess I am just getting frustrated. Mad

Tim
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by crosspcSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
rjohn
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:59 pm (19 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I don't think Google cares if you are www.domain-name.com or www.domainname.com

I tmay have a very slight benefit if it exactly matched the search term but I recon you are better picking something that is more memorable to your human visitors.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by rjohnSend Personal Message
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: