4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Interactive Builders
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
beretta24
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:00 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I want to develop an option on a site so people can custom build their own product (doors) based on given options. I want them to be able to pick out panels designs, window designs, colors etc. so they can play around with different designs to figure out what will work best for their own home. Any recommendations for what software I would need to do this?

Thanks
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by beretta24Send Personal Message
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:21 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well you could probably do this kind of thing with a simple HTML form and maybe a bit of javascript/php etc.

If your after something a little more flash then Macromedia Flash is probably the way to go...
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
beretta24
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:53 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Would Flash be a cost effective way to go about this if I'll be using it for one application?

I think the html and java would be a bit beyond my capabilities with the time frame I have.
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:19 am (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Does this selection of options lead to a purchase online? If so then you'll need some kind of server-side scripting such as PHP.

However if all you need is for people to look at the options, HTML and Javascript should be enough.

If you use Flash, then you'll be limiting what visitors can visit your site, although you can do the same thing by using browser-specific Javascript Smile.

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:07 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think the learning curve of going the Flash route would probably, if anything, be a little steeper than the HTML/javascript route unless your familiar with it already.

As for cost effectiveness, if you can do it in a month you could use a free 30 day trial of Flash Very Happy don't know what you would do if you needed to edit it further down the line...
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
beretta24
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:12 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks for the replies...

I noticed their 30-day trial and had the same thoughts ...Wink....might be an idea. There will be no online purchasing by the way.

Is there anywhere I could get an example of code for this type of application? I have little experience with programming although I did well with the programming I've done so far for a couple of classes (Matlab and a little with C++)
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:23 am (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I don't know of any specific examples but you could try having a look on Flash Kit

Flash ActionScript is actually very similar to JavaScript...
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: