4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

.htaccess
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
biker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:59 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi I have created a directory called members on my site amd placed the .htaccess and .htpasswd files in there, but the htaccess file can not find the .htpasswd
the .htaccess file looks like this

AuthName "Members Only"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /members/.htpasswd
require valid-user

Could nayone shed any light where I've gone wrong

Thanks
OfflineFind all posts by Anonymous
OllieMaitland
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:44 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think the .htaccess file takes the .htpasswd file from the server root if you put a leading slash so try either "members/.htpasswd" or "/absolute/path/to/dir/members/.htpasswd"
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by OllieMaitlandSend Personal MessageSend email
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:17 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Moved to the appropriate forum - the 'Our Site: Feedback & Questions' is not a catch all for those who can't be bothered to register Wink
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
bluesky
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:20 pm (17 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm having a similar problem with restricting access. As I understand it, I need to use the absolute UNIX path in my .htaccess file for the AuthUserFile line. Problem is my ISP tech support doesn't know how to give me the absolute UNIX path! The only access to the space is via FTP or their frontend on their website. Is there anyway I can get it?

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: