4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Email question
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:49 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yes, now add a crontab for it, and see if it works. Since only you have the URL, if you get an email, it must be working.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:30 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ok, I did that but I don't really understand why as no one had the link before I know the previous one didn't work, but we'll ignore that as you know what your doing - and then there is me.

So, I made a new one and covered all the possible corners. I made 4 seperate jobs, eahc with a different command.
--dump http://extremelinks.net/
-dump http://extremelinks.net/
/usr/local/bin/lynx -dump http://extremelinks.net/
/usr/local/bin/lynx --dump http://extremelinks.net/

None of them have worked. Great....!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by billdaviesSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:30 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Sounds to me like it's simply not working, and it's your host's job to fix things like that... Or maybe lynx isn't installed on your server? Try asking your host if lynx is installed. That may be the problem.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:18 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ok, I have asked them so I should get a reply in the next few hours. I had a quick look around to see if I could see any sign of it but I couldn't see anything, but is this any help?

Quote:
Installed CGI Scripts
and Other Software XMB Forums, Simple CGI Wrapper, Random HTML, Guestbook, Advanced Guestbook, Counter, Clock, Countdown, CGIEmail, FormMail Clone, Entropy Search and Banner, CGI/Java Chat, phpMyAdmin
Network Connectivity and
Data Center Facilities Our 100% Cisco powered Network is multi-homed to redundant upstream backbone providers, with powerful 155megabit OC3 lines. In the event of a failure with one provider, you'll still be operating and connected through our other upstream provider. Your account will be setup in a state of the art carrier class data facility in Houston, Texas. With redundant everything, this facility features around 30,000 square feet of total space, redundant UPS systems, generator backup, VESPA detection systems, and fiber from 5 seperate providers.
Server Hardware Setup All servers are built using ASUS boards, Western Digital & Maxtor Hard drives, All equipment covered by APC Master switches, All equipment covered by minimum of 1.4 KVA UPS units, Pentium III (Coppermine) 1GHz processor, 512MB RAM and 7200 rpm hard drives.
Server Software Setup Linux RedHat, Apache

Bill
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by billdaviesSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 7:42 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

No, that isn't really of any help. I had already figured out they were running Linux and CPanel Wink

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:11 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ok, reply:

Quote:
Lynx is a text browser for unix/Linux systems? Why would you need it?

?! What should I reply with?

Thanks
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:17 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Quote:
I am trying to get a PHP script to run at certain times of the day. So I have setup a crontab to visit the script periodically, using lynx.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:56 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Great, my host thinks I am some freak now! He is really unsure as he seems to think it's me trying to spam everyone. Now he's telling me to just do it manually and I did say that I want to send it in the early hours of the morning....!
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:50 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Bill, it's none of your host's business what you're trying to do, as long as it's not against their terms & conditions. If your host can't help you without knowing what emails you're sending, then I would change hosts.

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:17 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
Bill, it's none of your host's business what you're trying to do, as long as it's not against their terms & conditions. If your host can't help you without knowing what emails you're sending, then I would change hosts.

If I had that kind of responce from my host, I would quit straight away...
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
billdavies
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:28 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

But but but he was so good before I gave the money, he was cheap and I got a free domain!

This is his latest response and I think it is stupidly rude.

"You can't wait a few hours to send it? My suggestion would be to search the
internet and forums on Cpanel and PHP for how to do this, I am sure this is
a way to do it it just might take a lot of work for you to set it up. I
suggest WebHostingTalk.com as well as google."

How helpful....

Last edited by billdavies on Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:36 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

billdavies wrote:
But but but he was so good before I gave the money, he was cheap and I got a free domain!

This is his latest response and I think it is stupidly rude.

"You can't wait a few hours to send it? My suggestion would be to search the
internet and forums on Cpanel and PHP for how to do this, I am sure this is
a way to do it it just might take a lot of work for you to set it up. I
suggest WebHostingTalk.com as well as google."

How helpful....

But it's your host's job to do that I would have thought?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
billdavies
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:41 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

That's an assumption I made, but in this modern age I suppose that things have changed (verrryyy quickly for me, I've gone from F2S to this!)
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:45 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

billdavies wrote:
That's an assumption I made, but in this modern age I suppose that things have changed (verrryyy quickly for me, I've gone from F2S to this!)

Things shouldn't have changed, My host is more than happy to help me out with any problems, even things that are not to do directly to the service hs is providing. You should expect a better standard of customer service to be honest.
billdavies
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:50 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I suppose but them I am paying very little compared to what I was paying before. I've emailed my host back asking if he could help me a little bit more and also if I want to change hosts after my 30 day trial can I take my domain with me. Just a little threat there to get him moving.
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next