4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Nested SELECTs
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Hertzsprung
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:41 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

In postgres, you could do this:

SELECT name FROM groups WHERE id IN (SELECT groupid FROM profile WHERE userid=123)

with a some tables looking like this:
Code:

+---------------------+
| profile             |    +---------+
+---------------------+    | groups  |
| userid              |    +---------+
| groupid =================> id (PK) |
| PK(userid, groupid) |    | name    |
+---------------------+    +---------+

AFAIK, this cannot be achieved in MySQL (which sucks, btw). Can anyone suggest an alternative?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by HertzsprungSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:04 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

SELECT groups.name FROM groups LEFT JOIN profile ON groups.id=profile.groupid WHERE profile.userid=123

I believe that should take care of it Very Happy

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:17 am (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

The way they take care of it in phpBB is to run the initial select (the sub-query) and build a string. That string becomes part of the where clause for the next query.

I agree, it's amazing that MySQL has come as far as it has without this basic structure. Rolling Eyes

Dave

Hertzsprung
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:44 am (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

adam wrote:
SELECT groups.name FROM groups LEFT JOIN profile ON groups.id=profile.groupid WHERE profile.userid=123

Thanks, I'll give it a go. If it works, I'll have to find a way of kludging it into my DB
abstraction layer Rolling Eyes
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by HertzsprungSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Hertzsprung
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:45 am (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

drathbun wrote:
The way they take care of it in phpBB is to run the initial select (the sub-query) and build a string. That string becomes part of the where clause for the next query.

I agree, it's amazing that MySQL has come as far as it has without this basic structure. Rolling Eyes

Dave

I must admit I'm very lucky to be using postgreSQL myself -- for a mere £5 a year Very Happy
Hertzsprung
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:18 am (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

adam wrote:

Well, that worked. (I used INNER JOIN in the end but I dont think it makes much difference in my circumstance).

Now I'm trying to retreieve all the rows from group that are /not/ in profile WHERE profile.userid=123.
I thought this might work:

Code:
SELECT groups.name FROM groups INNER JOIN profile ON groups.id!=profile.groupid WHERE profile.userid=123

But it doesn't work at all.

Any ideas?
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:56 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

hmm...thats a tough one. the easiest way (and the only one I can think of) would be to select *, then use php (or the scripting language of your choice) to check through the results and store whichever != 123.

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: