4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Freedom2Surf Service Status Page - There Now Is One!
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 10:52 pm (21 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Just thought I would let everyone on 4webhelp know about this before I release it to the hungry users of our freedom2surf community.

http://www.freedom2support.net/status/

Thoughts, feelings, and comments would be most appreciated. Also, if someone could tell me the typical port of an NNTP news server, I would greatly appreciate it.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:41 am (21 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

TBH I dunno why you bother to spend your own money supporting their users when they should be supporting them themselves., they are a useless ISP run by people who seemingly dont have a clue.

NNTP runs on port 119 btw

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:05 am (21 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ben,

Am not spending money on them to be honest, I didn't pay for the domain name (someone else did) and I'm just using spare bandwidth and space I have on my account, there is no way I'd pay out of my own pocket to keep the site running, as that is just ridiculous.

Cheers for the NNTP port though.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:57 pm (21 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Fair doo's

Dont suppose you know how you rescue a domain from then do you?

I had a .co.uk domain that I registered with em, made sence at the time as they charged you the registration fee regardless of whether they registered the domain or you just pointed your domain at their name servers (such a weird and wonderfull policy that I've never really understood).

As far as I'm aware .co.uk registrations last for a period of 2 years, so as my hosting (well not actually mine it was for someone else) was only wanted for a year the domain is presumably stuck with f2s for another year.

Interestingly a whois on the domain now shows the registrant as na - http://tools.blueyonder.co.uk/whois.pl?fans2002.co.uk - it used to be Ben Scott.

As far as I can gather, and I have read the nominet terms and how they operate a few times as I have to deal with them at work, you can only change the registrant by filling in the changes form on the rear of the domain owership certificate thingy and posting it to nominet - where they do it from their end. So I dont know how the registrant has been changed - I dont see a way of doing it using nominets automatron thingy-m-bob.

I suppose I could just phone em and see if they will transfer it over to another tag for me, but I cant be bothered as I dont actually want the domain, just curious as to how they work, prehaps one day when I'm really bored I may phone em, for now just wondering if anyone knows.

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:06 pm (21 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Strange, seems like they stole your domain, but another thing that I can't understand with their domain registration policy, which is probbably why that this is happened to you, is that when you transfer / register a domain to them, it is only for a year.

I think they charge 7.50 per year + Vat , they register it for two, but only let you have it for a year. Which is how they probbably make money, hoping you will renew it, but if you don't, they don't mind, as they have covered their costs by recieving the first payment anyway. Therefore if you don't pay the 7.50 + Vat for a second year, they keep the domain under their name.

It is a stupid and strange policy, and I really don't know why they do it, but really it sums them up to be honest, I would have thought that they wouldn't have to do something like that.

They probbably wil turn round and say, it's not your domain, which in a way, they would be right, as you payed them for a years domain registration / transfer, even if they payed for two. You payed them for one at their cost, therefore when one year has elapsed, there is still another year to go, but you haven't paid them for that year, so they take the domain off you.

Whether nominet think this is legal or not, is probbably another matter, would be interesting to see their viewpoint on this. Generally speaking, every time I've had someone with domain enquiries, I've either been told to email Rachel@freedom2surf.net, or phone them up.

Hope this helps, but I agree it is very confusing.
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:00 pm (21 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

When I transferred my domain out of F2S, I basically had to inform them in writing that I wanted it moved, email was no good. Not that I get how a fax from a newsagent is better than sending an email. Rolling Eyes

The place you transfer it to will probably then charge you for a further 2 years registration.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
happy
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:07 pm (21 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Some domains are registered for one year and some for two.
Any unpaid for domains deregister on the expiry date. f2s don't resell them.

From: http://www.f2s.com/domainname/guide.php#whoisthedomainnameregisteredto

Quote:
You own your own domain name. We host it on our servers for you. It is the policy for __.coms to have ownership address details in. Nominet who regulate __.co.uks are about to insist on the same details being available for their domain names.

Some of our ISP competitors own domain names on behalf of their clients and then those company details will be displayed. Our policy is that the client owns the domain name.

If you look in "contact" in your members area, it is the details in "domain " that are used to register your domain name with. These details must be correct.

Happy
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by happySend Personal Message
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: