4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

phpBB2
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
lisabelle66
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:54 pm (22 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I would like to install phpBB2---I finally found some installation instructions on their forum, but I'm still having some trouble.

Where do you load the files? Which directory?

I haven't used mySQL before, so do I need to go to myphpadmin to set up a database first?

Any pointers would be helpful...

By the way...this is a GREAT forum!!!!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by lisabelle66Send Personal Message
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 7:30 am (22 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

You can upload the files to whatever directory you want.

For example you can put it at the top level of your domain:
www.yourdomain.com/

or you could put it into one or more subfolders:
www.yourdomain.com/forum/

You shouldn't need to use PHPmyadmin pre-installation. The installer will create all of the tables it requires. You just need to supply the installer with your db's server address, database name, username and password.

Hope this helps Smile
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
lisabelle66
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 6:52 am (22 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks for the help--- I got it going! It is just so cool!

Again, I really do like this forum.

Lisa
JointComms
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 3:51 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm in the same predicament really. I just downloaded the zip file but I don't know which directory to upload and how to get the installation going.

I've read the help file in the docs directory but I'm stuck. I must be doing something wrong - or missing seeing something but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Help would be appreciated
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JointCommsSend Personal MessageSend email
lisabelle66
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:45 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I am on a Plesk server and I uploaded everthing to a directory called 'phpBB2' under 'httpdocs'. Some ftp agents (Leechftp) will let you upload a folder with its contents from your hard drive--this is the easiest way. Make sure you change the permissions as instructed.

I got the intstructions below from the community forum at the phpBB2 website and they helped me a lot:

Quote:

Here are the steps:

(1)
Download the latest version of phpBB2. Currently it can be found at https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7885. I prefer the .tar.gz files, and winzip has no problems dealing with them.

(2)
Decompress the files to a directory on your local system, making sure that you maintain the relationship between directories. I'll suggest that you decompress them to c:\webupload

(3)
Now, within C:\webupload, you should have a phpBB2 directory, full of goodies. Open up your FTP client, and connect to where your web host tells you to go for uploading your web pages. Make sure that you are in the base directory for your web pages (there's a good chance this will be either htdocs or httpdocs). Tell your FTP client to upload (set the mode to ASCII) the entire contents of c:\webupload\phpBB2. If all went right, on the webserver you should see a directory named phpBB2, containing all the stuff you unzipped on your windows computer.

(4)
Connect your web browser to http://yourfullhostlocation/phpBB2/index.php. You should see a screen asking for a bunch of configuration options. Leave the first 3 options alone (i.e. English, MySQL 3.x, Install). For the next four options, you will need the information your host has given you. The first of the four asks for the location of the database server. You will probably enter "localhost" (no quotes) unless you know for sure that your database is hosted on another server. Your database must have been created in advance by your web host, and you will enter the name in the second line. The username and password should have been given to you by your host, but I'll bet they probably will be the same as your web FTP username and password. For simplicity, leave the "Prefix for tables in database" as phpbb_

On the next three options, you must create an administrator account. This is the person who has total control over the board, and is needed to do the initial set up.

(5)
Most likely it will tell you that it can't write the config file. Select the option to "send the file to me." Your web browser will download this file automatically. Have it download it to c:\webupload

(6)
Reconnect to the web server using your FTP client. This time, go into your phpBB2 directory on the webserver, and have your FTP client upload c:\webupload\config.php there.

(7)
Using your web browser, connect to http://yourfullhostlocation/phpBB2/index.php again. You should now see the board, along with a test forum already set up. Now log in as the administrator username you created during the install, and go to the administration panel. You should be all set now to finish configuring your board!

If you receive errors along the way, then come back here and do a search. There is a good chance you aren't the only one with the error!

If you see something like "can't connect to database" then you have entered your configuration information incorrectly, or your web host didn't meet the assumptions made above. In this case there is very little we can do to help you. Installation procedures for other databases/systems is very similar but I chose the above assumptions since they are pretty common choices. I know there are probably different ways of doing the setup of the board, but I made these decisions based on my experience and for simplicity of installing.

Good Luck!
Lisa
JointComms
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:51 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks for that quick reply Lisa (JC kneels and kisses feet). I'm printing and devouring instructions.

Thanks
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JointCommsSend Personal MessageSend email
JointComms
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:31 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I have several questions and I'm cross-posting from the 'Other' Forum on this board as I got no replies there :(

I've recently had to transfer hosts like many of us. I reinstalled BB2 but can't find which files/directories I should delete or CHMOD. I am under the impression that there was some directories I should chmod and delete????

During the reinstall I wanted to restore the backup db but I couldn't do it no matter what I tried - whether using phpmyadmin or the admin component of BB2. Fortunately my new host was able to do it for me.

I would also like to install a second BB2 elsewhere on my space and use it for my own test area. With that space I would like to be able to learn the adding of tables etc so that one doesn't need to install a second occassion of BB2.

Is there anyone who will take me step-by-step in restoring the db - I can't afford much but I am willing to pay for this service.

Please fellows, help me out here.
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: