4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Definition of Linux
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:23 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Just saw this on phpBB.com and thought it was rather amusing Laughing

Quote:
I can understand it was made in Finland and they have a penguin but after that it gets complicated.
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=40230

Just about sums it up Wink
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:58 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

LOL

On a more serious note, here is a quote of something else which was said, which might help people wondering what Linux is Wink:

TC wrote:
GnuLinux is an open-source operating system, which means that it wasn't "made" by any one person - it is always evolving from contributions by many different programmers worldwide. There are many different "flavors" of linux because of this, and each is fully customizable to your needs.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:39 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Quote:
...and they have a penguin ...

LOL Very Happy

Here's more about the penguin:

Linus Torvalds on the Penguin

Linus Torvalds wrote:
Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.

Last edited by verto on Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:57 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I love linux, especially the penguin Very Happy

Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:29 am (11 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well as for me Linux is a remarkably complete operating system, including a graphical user interface, an X Window System, TCP/IP, the Emacs editor, and other components usually found in a comprehensive Unix system.

Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:40 am (11 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I use Linux exclusively, and am used to it. It need less system resources compared to other operating systems. It is the simplest version of windows ever created.

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: