4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Problems with parallel persistent connections
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
tzenes2
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:38 am (18 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

please excuse me if this was asked befor, i couldn't find it. (probably because i didn't look)

I wrote a client to connect to my Apache server which uses parallel
persistant tcp connections. Now i've got the parallel down, but for
some reason after the firsts write/read and i write the second time,
the read returns 0, which I assume means the server has closed the
connection (note i'm using select to check the socket before i read
from it, so that means the socket has recieved data for me to read)

now when i ethereal, i notice that the server sends me a fin packet, and when i try to write to it it sends a rts packet.

Now is there something i'm supposed to send to make sure the server keeps the connection open?

or is there something on the server i'm supposed to configure? (btw, keepalive is on in the http config file and all my messages are HTTP/1.1)
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by tzenes2Send Personal Message
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:42 am (18 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

This is probably beyond the expertise of anyone here, so you might want to try asking somewhere that deals specifically with coding this type of application (searching Usenet might be a good idea).

Having said that, I did a quick test with telnet and as far as I can see the client doesn't have to do anything to get the server to keep the connection alive. The apache closes the connection if HTTP/1.0 is specified (I'm guessing 1.0 doesn't support keepalive), but like you said you're already using 1.1 so that can't be the problem.

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: