4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

How do you write your websites?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
andy
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:18 pm (19 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

First Post! Here goes...

Back when i started writing websites (5yrs maybe), I remember coding a page and getting it just how I wanted it to look (in Internet Explorer). Then I'd open the same page in netscape and see that the page looks terrible - not how its meant to look at all! Nowadays, maybe this is not so much of a problem with ~95% users browsing with IE.

This is how I go about writing a site:

• I Write webpages in notepad 2 and test them in Firefox. It sticks to web standards much better then IE
  • In my experience most pages that look ok in Firefox, also look right in IE (converse is not true), and since the number of firefox users is rapidly growing webpages are good for the future also!
  • I run all webpages through the W3C validator. Stick to the rules and alls well! Furthermore, accessibility laws seem to be popping up all over the place - valid HTML is one crucial step towards keeping websites open to everyone
  • I always consider my audience, do I need to worry about WAP access? Text only web browsers? etc

Do you adopt a similar approach? How do you all write yours? Does anyone have any useful tips for authoring good pages?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by andySend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
webhost
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:44 pm (19 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I take somewhat similar approach, I test all my sites on Firefox, much better than IE.

Given the fact most of the sites are now having database and are on php, I use different Content Management system. But for editing those php pages, I use Notepad ++, much better than Notepad 2.

Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:38 pm (19 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I write all mine with vim, usually looking at it in Safari first, then Firefox, then IE (which usually can not render the CSS properly).

Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:25 am (19 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Like most of you, I test on Firefox first, and then use workarounds to fix the problems in IE.

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: