4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Help with DNS forwarding to f2s webspace
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
danskinner
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:58 am (20 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi there - I'm pretty new to all this so please don't assume I know anything when replying Confused

I have recently set up a website on the 50Mb webspace that came with my ADSL (512 - pure IP home user - wires only) package - 'www.danskinner.f2s.com(/index.shtml)'

Now that's all fine & dandy but I now want to redirect traffic to it from my existing domain name 'www.danskinner.co.uk'.

I own danskinner.co.uk by virtue of having control of it at 123reg.co.uk, where I can either set up conventional web forwarding or indeed tweak the DNS values.. and it's here that it all goes a bit hazy!

I would 'like' for people who type in 'www.danskinner.co.uk' to be served the website on my f2s webspace but while still maintaining 'www.danskinner.co.uk' in the address bar (something that wasn't possible with simple unframed web forwarding & i couldn't use framed because that caused it's own problems..)

I 'thought' it might just be a case of adding:
www - CNAME - danskinner.f2s.com.
in the 'Manage DNS' section for danskinner.co.uk, but I've tried that & still nothing..
I would have preffered to forward to an 'A' value but none of the obvious IP addresses seem to work:
- 195.137.57.134 - 'WAN IP address' as specified on f2s member’s area
- 194.106.33.35 - address that I get when I ping 'www.danskinner.f2s.com'
etc..

So to summarise I currently 'just' have a 'www CNAME' tag but nothing doing! (2+ days have elapsed to allow time for propagation)
NB. I'm not too bothered about MX email tags (although an understanding would be appreciated!) because I soley use hotmail..

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated - I emailed f2s tech support and this is their (not very helpful) reply in it's entirity!:

----------------------------
Daniel

If you try adding a CNAME record for 'www.danskinner.co.uk' to point to 'www.danskinner.f2s.com' this should be ok.

Kind regards
Scott
f2s Technical Support
----------------------------

NB. also, I have seen references to an DNS section on the f2s members area but do not seem to have that facility on my account details page..

I'm fairly sure that I'm simply missing out on something fundamental!
Cheers for any help/insight in advance!

Dan
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by danskinnerSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:43 am (20 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Dan,

You won't be able to do it that way since apache would have to be configured to listen for requests for www.danskinner.co.uk & f2s won't set it up for you unless you pay their silly domain hosting prices.

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:38 pm (20 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'll give them credit though because I'm nice, whereas before it was 20MB Email shared between all the account and 20MB Webspace it's now 20x20MB Email Accounts with 50MB Webspace, plus some nice new features coming soon, SMTP over SSL, Webmail (IMP 3.2.3) over SSL with Calender being the most recent ones.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:39 am (19 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Just another couple of updates, further recentley added features include:

- Abillity to configure spam/virii filters per email box from members area

- Use of SMTP Server from any computer in the world via SSL instead of restricted to just when connected via F2S

- Abillity to visit sites without the www. in the hostname (Later today)
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
belainex
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:25 am (14 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I have an ethernet cable connected to PS2 but it says I timed out and have invalid DNS adresses. What do I do? The connection was made when I performed a test. But when it comes to connecting while playing a game it says I either timed out or the DNS adresses were incorrect.

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: