4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Urgent help needed
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Joei
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:07 pm (20 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hey. I'm new to MySQL, and trying to teach myself from a book. The problem is, i can't seem to get it to run properly. I have MySQ 4.0.4 beta running on Windows 98.

The thing is, the book tells me to run WinMySqlAdmin which automatically runs the mysqld-opt server. So i do. Except when the server is running it slows down my comp. and when i try to connect to the server in DOS it just sits there and doesn't do anything. I am typing mysql -u j (my username) -p
I then type my password at the prompt which is also j.
I've tried variations of this command. For example - mysql -h localhost -u j -p but still the same.

If i don't have the server on, when i try these commands to connect to the server i get the error "ERROR 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)" which makes sense since the server isn't on. but as i said, when the server is on, it just sits there and i get no feedback. and i have tried all the commands which are supposed to write errors to a text file etc - but still nothing. Now if i close the mysqld-opt server i get the error about where it has lost contact with the server during a query which also makes sense.

The strange thing is, i spent hours trying to get this all to work, and then the next day i somehow got it to work in no time. I was connected to the server and everything and there was no sign of slowdown. I could issue the mysql commands and stuff. The thing that's strange is, when i asked it to connect to the server, i could have sworn there was no server running so i am bamboozled. I have no idea what it is i am doing wrong. I am really desperate and would appreciate any help on getting the whole thing working correctly so i can teach myself it.

Please don't ignore this because it isn't a specific MySQL problem. I'm really desperate here and don't know where else to turn. I've read the manual countless times and am getting nowhere.

Thanks in advance.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JoeiSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:17 pm (20 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Not sure what your problem is, but wouldn't it be easier for you to install an "all in one" package which has Apache, PHP & MySQL, and which would probably do all this stuff for you, and hopefully work Wink. Question

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:23 pm (20 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Also, I'm not too sure how mysql likes having a space betweeen -p and password
try mysql -u j -pj

http://community.34sp.com
http://www.miguel.me.uk | http://www.sfcommand.co.uk | http://www.ssdg.org.uk
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by SfCommandSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Joei
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:26 pm (20 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I already have Apache and PHP installed and they work fine. I'm using what was provided with the book....Sad

Ok, will try that but it doesn't seem to care. I tried so many different variations when i actually got it to work. But what would explain my comp slowing down in the first place?

Am i going about running my server the wrong way? Do i need to give a command at the DOS prompt or something?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JoeiSend Personal Message
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: